Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Boss Of The Bosses

It's been many years since I had a genuine interest in the Premiership through the presence of my own team. But it would be spiteful to just ignore it, tempting as that may be sometimes. If I am listening to a game I will generally be funking for one team or another based almost entirely on whether I like or dislike the manager.

So here's how they line up at the moment, from worst to best. This is a non-scientific ranking just based on how much I like and/or respect the manager in question. It's not all that much to do with how their teams play (if it was then Allardyce would be well down for a start) Who is the boss of the bosses ? Betting with 19 because Roeder doesn't really count.

Relegation fodder :

19 Redknapp. Didn't mind him so much at West Ham but really, has the man no shame whatsoever, the way he's carried on for the last two seasons.

18 Bruce. An absolute and utter twat who takes one-eyed analysis to a new low.

17 Ferguson. Never liked him. A bully and a shameless bullshitter who never gets called by shit-scared interviewers.

16 Mourinho. Is occasionally entertaining but much of Chelsea's totally classless behaviour emanates from this man. Could you not at least acknowledge that spending £500 million gives you a bit of a head start.

15 McLaren. I harbour no personal dislike for the man but he is a bit crap really.

14 O'Leary. A very lucky manager (in the situation he was given at Leeds) and a serial excuse-maker.

Mid-table mediocrity

13 Robson. I actually think he's done ok at West Brom, and has perhaps been unfairly labelled after his time at Middlesboro but his monotonous drawl is very annoying and I can't forget that he was frankly a dirty cunt as a player.

12 Allardyce. Isn't as bad as a lot of people make out. Was one of the first English managers to enter the 21st century in terms of diet and training methods, then again he does blame the refs a bit too much and by all accounts Bolton are absolutely horrible to watch. Still, I don't have to watch them, which explains why he isn't any lower.

11 McCarthy. On the plus side, conducts himself with great dignity considering how appalling Sunderland are. On the minus side, it's his team and they are truly appalling.

=10th Coleman, Pardew, Curbishley. Hard to have any strong opinions about these guys (much like their clubs) but they get it quietly and have a bit of dignity about them

7th Hughes. Blackburn have cleaned up their act somewhat and Hughes is generally fairly straightforward and reasonable.

Championship contenders (the ones I actually like)

6th Moyes. Made me £130 last year, which is a big plus, didn't panic this season when they were struggling and seems like an honest bloke to me. He looks a bit like me as well.

5th Wenger. Despite his much-mocked myopia, has produced a couple of fantastic football teams and has always conducted himself well IMO.

4th Benitez. Has done a great job sorting Liverpool out. Mourinho has made him bite once or twice but come on, that man would try the patience of a saint.

3rd Jewell. Despite being a chirpy Scouser, I like him a lot. Tells it like it is, gets on with it and is having a great season.

2nd Jol. Shot up to number one last year after his adult reaction to the disallowed four-feet-over-the-line goal at Old Trafford, and has impressed me throughout with straight talking, a sense of humour and taking it on the chin where necessary.

1st Pearce. A total legend who has shown up just about every other manager with his honesty, willingness to admit his own mistakes and general utter hardness and mental strength. Go Citeh, Stuart Pearce is my massive Boss of the Bosses !

6 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Andy_Ward said…

    Predictably enough I didn't have a bean on anyone at the start of the season !

    I will blog about the Rangers situation soon but I'm happy to take my time. Gary Waddock is in till the end of the season so let's give him a fair whack at it.

    Andy.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice post there. Sadly I also have to agree with you on Jol. It's been a long time since Spurs had a decent manager but this bloke looks excellent to me.

    Dom

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lionel Hutz
    Come of it Andy, Jose may be arrogant but dont tell me you wouldnt be entertained by him if you had a chance to sit down with the 'special one'. Pretty much agree with your list (actually correct that, i agree with Mr Bennetts view of Allardyce). No mention of the idiotic Holloway?

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Andy_Ward said…

    Now now. As Steve Templeman once said, be nice to people on the way up, so you can nip them on the way down ! You and Jose both.

    Are you going to the WSOP this summer ?

    Andy.

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lionel
    Yep, going on a work jolly up. 25/7 till 5/8 me thinks, you gonna be around?

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Andy_Ward said…

    Not at that time, unless I play the main event. The damn thing is so long !

    I'm going to be there for 2 weeks from the 28th June.

    Andy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home