Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Torquay 2 Cambridge United 0

I nipped over to Wembley for the Conference Playoff final during my "internet holiday". As I used to occasionally pop down to the Abbey when I lived in Cambridge, I thought I'd throw my lot in with them. Unfortunately for them, I kept up my 100% playoff final record of no wins and even no goals in three games. United were the better side until Chris Hargreaves burst through to open the scoring for Torquay ; the goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of them and they only really pressed for 10 minutes at the start of the second half. That surge had already come and gone when one of their centre-halves was sent off for a rash foul (having already been booked), and when Tim Sills headed in a second it was totally game over.

Wembley still looks great and the newly-relaid pitch was pretty good as well, although you'd hope it would be as this was the first game played on it ! And so now we're definitely done and done for another season.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A depressing afternoon, even watching on a dodgy internet feed from the States. Finishing second two years in a row and not going up is quite galling.

    Whenabouts did you used to visit the Abbey?

    - 89TJ

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Andy_Ward said…

    Oooh, a long time ago. Longer than I care to remember ! Probably late 80s. Certainly before the Beck/Dublin/Claridge etc. rise up the leagues.

    Andy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home