Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Desperate Times

call for desperate measures. Can QPR's appointment of John Gregory be classed as desperate ? I don't think so myself. I don't have to try too hard to see a lot of positives in this.

For a start, something had to be done. No question. One win in something like 20 league games brooks no argument there. Having met Gary Waddock and been so impressed by him as a person I really wanted him to do well but it just looks like it was too much for him at this stage of his career. I don't think he's been helped by some of the players, or the board in that he was clearly being given players he knew nothing about. I'm very pleased that Gary has been kept on as coach. I always think it's harsh when, for example, Dave Merrington who was 25 years at Southampton, stepped up to manage the club, it didn't work out, and they just kicked him out. Reading between the lines, Waddock seems quite relieved to be, er, relieved of the manager's job.

As for Gregory, he is a man with a chequered past. The main criticisms against him seem to be that he spent a lot of money on bad players (£6 million for Balaban being the pick) ; he has a history of falling out with "star" players ; and he was dismissed for misconduct by Derby County. These are easily answered, in turn, as follows : one, we have no money for him to spend ; two, we have no star players ; and three, Gregory sued Derby for unfair dismissal and won. I'm prepared to give the guy a chance and I hope that fans will be patient. No one can wave a magic wand and make the same group of players suddenly better. Except maybe Martin O'Neill :-)

Another point worth making is, who else was available ? Especially given that Leeds and West Brom are looking for managers. Don't tell me Dennis Wise is suddenly a great manager on the back of 6 games at Swindon. I would have like to see Martin Allen approached at some point before he joined MK Dons, but that's in the past. Hopefully we can move onwards and upwards. After all, there's no other way to go, at least for this season !

1 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    John Gregory? In the words of Mr Munz, Haha
    Lionel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home