Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Monday, May 03, 2010

QPR 0 Newcastle 1

Done and done. A predictably low-key game turned when Peter Ramage dived in on Shola Ameobi and got himself sent off seconds after half-time. It was a shame because Gorkss and Ramage looked a more solid pair than anything I'd seen for quite a while, and Ramage seemed quite upset to be sent off against his former club. I got the impression that both sets of players were asking the ref to be lenient but technically he had to go.

Peter Lovenkrands finished expertly from a one-on-one to put United one up, and five minutes later Jay Simpson fired straight at the keeper from an almost identical position. "That's why we're champions" sang the travelling support, and they were right. So ends another season and I'm sure I'm not the only one glad to see the back of it. Regarding players new to me, Dusko Tosic looked too good for this level, i.e. probably too expensive for Rangers, while in the other full-back position Josh Parker looked remarkably assured when he came on as a substitute for the once again disappointing Lee Cook. Rangers have probably been unlucky that neither Cook nor Rowan Vine are half the player they were before a bad injury ; then again Cook had had a lot of problems at Fulham and was probably bought with the heart rather than the head. Fulham are laughing either way. Or they would be if £1.7 million made any difference to a £200m debt. Plucky Fulham, don't start me off again. Meanwhile Alejandro Faurlin had the best game I've seen him play for the club and I wouldn't be amazed if he moved onwards and upwards in the summer.

Anyway, nuts to it. We'll see in August but I'm certainly not queueing up for a season ticket and I doubt many others are either.

Update : Just to underline that, Faurlin was voted both players' and supporters' player of the year.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Benjamin said…

    Glad that the WC is over (for England anyways)? I am - back to the real football. Any updates coming our way?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home