Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Saturday, March 06, 2010

QPR 3 West Brom 1

It seemed churlish not to go to this, seeing as I had already bought the ticket and I was arriving at Gatwick 12.15 lunchtime. Needless to say though my luggage took ages to be disgorged and I rolled up to Loftus Road at about 2.57pm. It's difficult to evaluate the entire situation based on one game, with the changes at the club and in my own relationship to the game in general, so for now I'll keep it relatively factual.

While 3-1 against a team in 2nd place going in is a great result, I didn't think Rangers played well at all. For sure they worked hard and stuck at it, but after a decent first 20 minutes their passing was poor to say the least. Fortunately, by that time the home team were two goals to the good, thanks in no small part to the hapless Scott Carson. I've commented on him before, when playing for Charlton, and now he looks even worse. How he played for England, and in a crucial qualifier not some pointless friendly, is beyond me. First he spilled Adel Tarrabt's low cross to present Jay Simpson with an open goal, then he allowed the not exactly prolific Matt Connolly to slide the ball through his legs after a good Rangers passing move. West Brom were soon on top despite the 2-0 deficit and Chris Brunt pulled one back after an equally good move by the visitors.

Rangers were clinging on for 20 minutes after half time but managed to stay in front thanks to some desperate blocks and decent saves from on-loan keeper Carl Ikeme. Then Akos Buzsaky's 45-yard free kick (of course intended as a cross) bounced up into the top corner with the entire visiting defence standing watching to seal the win. Indeed, Simpson and Rowan Vine both had decent chances to add a completely unrealistic gloss to the win. Of the players I hadn't seen before, Ikeme did well as I said, Matt Hill was keen but looked a little short of quality, while Tamas Priskin had almost no impact on the game at all. Given that Simpson and Tarrabt are loanees as well, and so only 6 of the starting 11 were actually QPR players, it's even more difficult to evaluate where the club is headed. I'm fairly sure that relegation isn't too much of a threat ; but what will happen in the summer, who knows. Who knows.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought the pass by Faurlin for the second goal was absolutely first class.

    And I don't think Connolly put it through Carson's legs, it looked like a very good finish to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home