Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Growing Old Together

I read a quite remarkable statistic on Football365 today, towards the end of an opinion piece about bringing back standing sections :

"just 9% of match going Premiership fans are under 24 with the average age of fans being 45"

That shocked me. Could it really be true ? It seems like it is :

Football Fading To Grey (January 2005)

I used to think that it would be time to stop going to football when I was older than all the players. That time is almost upon me. Surely Sheringham and Hessenthaler are going to chuck it in this summer and that will be that. However, it seems like according to this data I'm still a youngster, at least in Premiership terms.

Isn't that sad ? I think it's awful. What's going to happen 10 years from now ? Well, does anyone involved with the Premiership care ? And I don't absolve the Championship either, all of whom are fixated on shoving their way up to the trough with the rest of them. It's all so short-term. I'm seriously considering seeing this season out with QPR and then throwing my lot in with Enfield Town. At least then I might be doing something for the local community.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger The Camel said…

    The reason it's so short term is simple. None of the fuckers that own the clubs will be around in 20 years to see the damage they are doing now. And they KNOW they won't be around, so they don't give a flying fuck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home