Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On The Other Hand ...

I did say see you in August but just one more, for this pathetic spin in from the Evening Standard. It's about season ticket price increases at QPR. Here's the relevant snippet :

"Among them is salesman Mark Todd, 40, who has seen the season-ticket bill for himself and his young sons Lewis, eight, and Oliver, five, increase from £530 this season to £1,599. Todd, from Bovingdon, Hertfordshire, told Standard Sport: "I have been a season-ticket holder in the South Africa Road stand upper tier for eight years. "Last season I paid £460 for my ticket and £70 for Lewis's, while Oliver's was free as part of an FA initiative. But the club have decided to change the price structure for our part of the ground and call it the Platinum Area. That means if we want to continue sitting there, which we do, I'd have to fork out £699 for my ticket and £450 each for both of my boys. "

What this guy is saying is that if he makes the completely ridiculous decision to pay £450 for a season ticket for a 5-year-old in a particular area of the ground instead of getting him in for free anywhere else, then it's going to cost him a lot of money. And of course the Standard, who have had a grudge against the club for several years and have had to officially apologise for malicious and untrue stories about the club more than once, are happy to oblige. This guy could still get a perfectly acceptable season ticket for himself and his two children for £624. It just wouldn't be the best seats in the house, which the club are quite reasonably trying to maximise revenue from instead of giving them away free to 5 year olds.

Yes, season tickets have gone up. For sure, voice your concerns. But don't talk a load of shite.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I wanted to sit behind the goal or in the corner areas then I would have done so eight years ago when I 1st bought a season ticket. I am now being told to either pay up or move. There is no respect here at all. What should have happened is a gradual increase over the next 3 to 4 years, not lump it on us all at once. I understand the club has to move forward and ticket prices have to increase. You might think im talking shite but put yourself in my situation. I do not want to move - I have fantastic seats - Why didnt the club increase u16 tickets in the best areas to £199 inline with most other prem clubs??
    Marc Todd

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Andy_Ward said…

    Hi Marc,

    Fair play to you for responding. If I do put myself in your situation, the way I'd try to look at it is that I had a great deal last season, and it's unfortunate that it can't be renewed. They are fantastic seats, can you blame the club all that much for not wanting to give them to concessions ? And I would buy tickets in another area of the ground.

    TBH what I wouldn't have done is gone to the Standard with it as the paper is always super-quick to criticise the club and has past history of printing, and having to retract, malicious and untrue stories about the club.

    Best of luck and I hope you can find a solution that allows you and your family to watch the Rs next season.

    Andy.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger intheloft said…

    Hi Andy, trust you are well. Could you email me - intheloft@clara.co.uk in regards to a project I'm working on, thanks, Howard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home