Despite His White Boots

Football, football, football and, if the mood takes me, more football.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Here We Go Again ...

I wasn't amazed to see the news of Iain Dowie's departure when I arrived home last night ; I could easily say that I wasn't even surprised. It's almost impossible to know what's going on in the club at the moment. I don't want to keep falling into this trap where I slate the press in one piece and then repeat all their rumours in the next ! For whatever reason though, Dowie and Briatore just couldn't work together and so off we go again. At least we lasted 12 games before sacking the manager this season, compared to 8 in each of the last two.

I haven't got time to comment fully, and I'd love to see if Dowie's side of it comes out, although it rarely does in these circumstances, the outgoing manager preferring to pocket a payoff for keeping it shut. Keeping it shit I typed in there first, Freudian. Going forward the board need to make some clear decisions.

Firstly : hands on manager or coach who does what he's told. Pick one, make sure the new incumbent knows the score and everyone knows where they stand. Obviously I'd prefer the former but if you can't bear to let the manager do his job because you think your one hour a week dealing with football qualifies you better, then at least make this clear at the start.

Secondly : decide whether we're buying a team for quick promotion or building one for the medium term. If the former, spend some money. A lot of money in fact, although I can't see automatic promotion this season whatever given there's still two months to the transfer window. If the latter, then enough with the loan signings. For example, I love Lee Cook, we all do, but he's not our player. Either buy him or send him back and play our own young players, like Balanta and Ephraim. What's the use of them sitting in the stand watching if Cook goes back to Fulham at the end of the year.

But what can you do. We don't know what's going on and we certainly have little or no control over it. The club is rapidly becoming a joke and the worst thing is, if you look at it from the point of view of a good, upcoming manager who already has a sound gig (like Martinez at Swansea), why would he leave that to go to QPR, where he could get sacked for having 6 bad games or insisting on picking his own team ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home